Welcome to this week's Functional Food Friday post!
Today I'm talking all about Goji Berries, otherwise known as Wolfberries.
Have you heard of them before? Gojis are such a treat! Earthy, sweet, vibrant, and packed with essential nutrients. Just 1/4 cup of dried gojis provides:
- 90% daily value of selenium
- Selenium is an essential trace mineral needed for optimal cognitive function, fertility, and immune health.
- 100% daily value of vitamin B2
- B2, also known as Riboflavin, is critical for proper digestive function, we use B2 to break down & absorb nutrients from our food. B2 also converts carbohydrates into ATP, the energy source needed by our cells to perform their daily work. B2 protects eye health, including preventing cataracts; nerve, skin, and muscle health.
- 140% daily value of vitamin A
- Vitamin A is a fat-soluble antioxidant that contributes to eye health and slows cognitive decline.
Plus! Gojis also contain ample fiber, 18 different amino acids, and countless phytonutrients.
These properties function synergistically in the body to help prevent diseases like cancer and cardiovascular disease (CVD), as well as promote optimal skin health, stabilize blood sugar, detoxify the liver, and improve blood sugar balance.
Lastly, let's not forget that they make a really cute addition to smoothie bowls! *Vital*
Now I know what you may be thinking: "Are goji berries one of those overpriced superfoods I see on the end of the aisles in my health food market?"
The truth is, maybe. Goji berries (especially organic can be a bit more expensive than your typical dried fruit. However, the benefits are endless and TOTALLY worth it. Just do a little shopping around and see if you can find a decent price, such as online or in bulk bins.
But! A little goes a long way. Simply give yourself a daily boost by sprinkling a few of them on your smoothies, morning oat bowl, yogurt parfaits, swap them out for raisins in granola, or grab a handful with your afternoon snack. You really can’t go wrong, and they are definitely worth the investment.
Do you LOVE goji berries? Leave me a comment below, and let me know your favorite way to use them!
That's all for today!
From my plate to yours, LM