Raise your hand if you have ever heard of "slow juice."
I imagine that a few in this figurative room HAVE, and the rest of you think this is some creepy joke. Slow juice first entered my world while I was studying nutrition in Portland in 2015-2016. I was walking down Division, visiting the TidBit food farm, and decided to stop at the juice stand on the corner.
At first sip I realized that this was no ordinary juice. It was like sipping a cloud. The texture wasn't gritty. The taste was perfectly smooth with no remnants of hot metal. (Have you had those juices? Not good.)
I actually went back and asked the nice lady what kind of juicer she used, and she replied, "Hurom." You better believe that for the next year I scoured Amazon for the best model and price, and added that baby to my wedding registry the second I settled.
Now that I house this very dream machine in my own kitchen, let me tell you every reason I can think of that you should have one too.
1. It's quiet. Like, really quiet. You know what that means? Juice early in the morning, or late at night without disturbing your neighbors or roommates (or cat?)!
2. It's actually not THAT slow. It takes a few minutes longer than a regular juicer, but it definitely doesn't take hours. The concept is that it gently spins and squeezes produce so that you get a better taste and more nutrients than high-pressured juicers.
3. The juice tastes better. This you will just have to trust me on, but dang it if there's one thing I know about, it's how a friggin' juice should taste. And it's pretty dreamy.
4. It doesn't get hot like the Omega. Yep, I said it. The Omega masticating juicer gets so hot after just a few minutes of use. I used my Hurom this morning to make 3 large servings of juice (took about 20 minutes total to wash & prep produce, and extract juice) and it barely got warmer than room temperature.
5. Easy to clean. Only 4 parts to clean, plus the pulp + juice containers, and they are a breeze to clean. The juicer even comes with cute little brushes to scrub small crevices, kind of like a toothbrush.
6. Less waste. Because this machine spends more time processing the ingredients, you get a higher yield and therefore much less pulp.
7. More product. Hurom spinning technology extracts 35% more juice than regular juicers.
8. It fits under the cabinet. This juicer is quite compact for traditional stand juicers. And it doesn't take up a lot of room on the shelf. (If you have really low cabinets, the Omega horizontal juicer might be a better option here).
9. Ten-year warranty. That kind of reliability is huge for household machines that we're so used to replacing after just a few years. Keep your packaging info, and fill out the warranty form right when you unpack it.
10. Safety first. There are no blades or sharp parts anywhere. You never have to worry about cutting your finger while cleaning. PLUS, while most of it's parts are not plastic the ones that are, are BPA-free.
Bonus! They're on Amazon Prime! Aka, free shipping. Guys, I could go on and on. But I'll spare you. Head over to their website here to check it out some more info.
*This was NOT a sponsored post (although I totally wish it was). I am just so jazzed about this thing, that I wanted to shout it from a mountaintop (modern-day blogging).*
For now, I leave you with a simple recipe to get your juice on.
1 head celery, stalks separated and cut into 3 or 4-inch chunks
1 english cucumber, sliced lengthwise into 3 or 4-inch chunks
1 inch of ginger, peeled **
1 green apple, cut into narrow wedges
1 bundle of kale, also cut into 3 or 4-inch stalks
large handful of fresh parsley (keep the stems on!)
1 meyer lemon, or 2 regular lemons, juiced by hand with a citrus juicer
Wash and prep all ingredients.
Run everything but the lemon through the juicer.
Once you have your juice in a large container, stir in the lemon juice.
OPTIONAL: Stir in 1/4 cup of alkaline water per juice serving for extra hydration!
** Easy way to peel off ginger skin : hold the ginger chunk in one hand, and with the other, use the tip of a spoon to scrape off the skin. It just comes flying off!